The Externship Program enables outstanding young professionals 35 years of age and younger in the parks and recreation field to interact with and learn from members of the American Academy for Park and Recreation Administration, and other individuals who attend the NRPA Congress and its associated meetings. Up to four Externs are selected each year, of which two are Ernest T. Atwell diversity externships.
Externs are paired with Academy members who serve as mentors during the NRPA Congress. Externs may attend selected NRPA Congress meetings, socials and educational sessions with their mentors or on their own. Mentors help introduce Externs to their contacts and widen the young professionals’ networks. After Congress, Externs must write a brief evaluation report including 1) an overview of activities they were involved in during Congress; 2) what they have gained from the program; and 3) strengths and weaknesses of the program, along with suggestions for future improvement
Selected externs each receive 1) reimbursement for the NRPA Congress registration; 2) up to $1,000 in reimbursement for conference expenses and travel; and 3) a ticket for the Academy’s Annual Banquet.
Eligible applicants should submit the application form (see link below) and supporting materials no later than June 10, 2016. Applications must be submitted with two (2) letters of recommendation via e-mail as a PDF.
Minimum Eligibility Criteria
- Must be a current member of NRPA.
- Must be 35 years or younger, with a degree in parks and recreation or a related field.
- At least three (3) years of full-time experience in the parks and recreation field, or parks and recreation academia.
- Current position of at least the “specialist” or “coordinator” level with responsibility for program planning, administration, or supervision; or “doctoral student”
- Involvement with state, regional and/or national park and recreation associations/societies, and related field organizations.
- Professional certification is preferred e.g. Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) or CTRS or be a certified/registered professional under an approved certification/credentialing program
- Previous Academy Externs are not eligible.
Submit completed application to:
Cindi Wight, CPRE
AAPRA Extern Committee
Call Cindi Wight at