Dr. Phillip Rea is Professor Emeritus, Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management at North Carolina State University.
Chronologically, Phil Rea’s professional experiences include high school teaching, a master’s degree in environmental education from SUNY Cortland, developing and managing a regional park for the City of Indianapolis, and serving as a lecturer in recreation and park administration at Indiana University. He earned his doctorate at Indiana University with a major in Recreation and Park Administration with a minor in Higher Education Administration. He joined North Carolina State University as an Assistant Professor in 1978, and was promoted to Associate Professor in 1983 and Professor in 1988. He served as department head from 1987 until his retirement in 2003.
Rea’s scholarly contributions have been focused on recreation and park planning and management. He published on issues related to recreation carrying capacity, park development and management, revenue generation, park and recreation maintenance management, and academic leadership.
Professional Leadership includes…
- Board of Directors and President of the Society of Park and Recreation Educators
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the National Recreation and Park Association.
- Chair of the NRPA Board of Trustees committees on Research and Professional Development and Education.
- President of the North Carolina Recreation and Park Association
- Member of the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Park and Recreation Administration.
- Board of Directors of the North Carolina Recreation and Park Association.
- Chaired 12 college and university accreditation teams.
Honors and Awards:
- Distinguished Alumni Award from Indiana University School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation.
- Outstanding Alumni Award from Indiana University Department of Recreation and Park Administration.
- Fellow Award from North Carolina Recreation and Park Administration.
- Outstanding Teacher Award, NCSU Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management.
- Selected to the Academy of Outstanding Teachers, North Carolina State University
- Member, American Academy for Park and Recreation Administration.
- Hall of Fame Award, North Carolina Recreation and Park Association.